Sunday, January 6, 2013

Does money makes us soft?

It is a new year and I have  started it limping.  The limping  is so bad  that I am walking like i Ntsayiza (Intsayiza ayo bodi ku boda umlenze)  because the leg in pain gets left far behind when I take a step forward.

But it is not the limping that worries me it is the reason for my limping. I feel that  my body has failed me. How can such a flimsy thing do this to ME?  Does this know who I am. I am a 1.82 metre tall, 100kg giant.
The  limping has left me asking myself  why have I gone so soft.  Has the glittering  light of the City of Gold taken my masculinity?

While hanging my laundry over the weekend, a thorn stabbed me in the foot. The pain that followed is beyond my imagination. I knelled expecting  to find my flesh torn apart and blood pumping out.
To my surprise, it was something small.For something that small it sure could hurt. I am talking about the pain that move from your toes to your brain in a matter of seconds.  It was worse than labour pains. It was hell.

This hell of a  pain came from a small thorn  that fell of some flowery  tree like plant. How can this paralyse me with pain.
 I am used to much greater pain. When I was a boy I used to hunt.  I used to step on these flowery thorns with easy barefoot. Thorns from a big trees did not deter me from catching wild animals or running away from a swarm of bees.

I used to crush them rub my feet against the stony road and continue with my journey.

Has  the limping made me a  wimp? Can I blame it on age, is it the change of life style  or is the accumulation of the little cents I get from the capitalists?

Kalipile Mgevane blamed it on the diet. " zezi-yogurt nezi ice-cream. Wagqibela nini ukutya iinkobe?" he said. 
 Mgevane further said "Akukho nto eya ezihlunwini. Bubuswiti namanzi qha. Emvakoko uyichama yonke loonto." and Babalwa Nhando was quick to agree  to that statement.

If eating yogurt and ice- cream are viewed as luxury to many including me, does this mean the change in lifestyle and diet has made me soft?

No comments: